Today is the first actual day that we were able to rally people around the office and paint! Why? Because we just secured our certificate to occupy paper yesterday. It’s the middle of April and a little behind, but definitely on track (God’s timing). Below is a panoramic picture of some of the team working today!
While we are continuing to get our office space/storage locations ready for operation, we still have a few ways that you can contribute items or monetary donations to our organization.
For item donations:
For monetary contributions:
We are currently looking for monthly contributors. You can donate monthly for any amount you would like on our GoFundMe account. Simply click “donate.” Next to the box for the amount, check “Yes! Donate each month.”
If you would prefer, you can also donate on our Paypal account – you can choose to turn that into a monthly contribution as well.
As always, we would like to thank all of our volunteers, and all the people who have donated money, items or their time. We simply wouldn’t be able to accomplish all of our goals for the city of Atlanta without the support of the community. Thank you!
Yesterday was bittersweet for me! Why? Because when returning to Atlanta, GA. I received a phone call from a person I befriended under the I-20 bridge when I was homeless in December. They are no longer in the state of GA because #lovebeyondwalls reunited them with their family members in a another state. It just so happened that we were passing by an empty “Tent City” when I received the phone call.
When I glanced at the former “Tent City,” it was hard knowing that just a few months ago, many people who we were working with are no longer there. Of course we were able to get eight people off of the streets by reconnecting them with their family, but I am clueless as to where many of the others are…And that pains me a little.
“Are you okay?” my friend asked. I sat in silence before I responded with, “I guess we have to keep working and taking #lovebeyondwalls.” My friend said, “You guys have got to get into that building, and work to get more people off the streets like you did for us…”
“I know…It’s just hard knowing that “Tent City” is empty now….” I said. We caught up some more, and then said our goodbyes…
Not only was the phone call encouraging, but it was heavy too. However, I believe it was the push needed for our “PLANT LOVE” campaign. Imagine being encouraged by someone who had nothing months ago, and is now starting to take steps again. What an amazing feeling…
Today, we are 6 days into working on the actual facility (preparing it to occupy and do more work in our city).
This past Saturday, we gathered with a few volunteers and prayed in the space for the first time, and also saw some landscape get accomplished. This week, we are knocking out a few more essential pieces, getting some more paperwork completed, and planning a little more.
Below is the first shot we took with a few volunteers this past Saturday in our empty office…LOL.
Yesterday, our #plantlove campaign started!
Ironically enough, it was
“April Fools” day. You know… the national holiday where people pull pranks on their closest friends & relatives? LOL.
Well, yesterday felt “foolish” is a sense. Why? Because it is unbelievable and humbling that we are taking steps forward to get planted in our office/storage and city of ATL/College Park. Personally, I am excited and blown away by God’s ability to provide. It does’t make sense at all.
DAYS 1 & 2 have been focused on getting the parking lot cleaned. There were many leaves, sticks, and old trash in the lot from the previous occupant. Also, we have taken these two days to get several things cut on — like power, gas, phone, and other small items. Currently, there is a little waiting period that came up unexpectedly.
We are awaiting the final inspections, and clearances for our organization to be planted in the headquarters (officially).
However, during this waiting period, I’m learning three lessons as a leader during the process. Here goes:
1) Remain focused on the bigger picture — The big picture for us involves serving, helping, and reaching people who are under resourced, under valued, and overlooked. This is our “why” behind our “what.” Nothing more, nothing less. When you stay focused on the bigger picture, it makes your process worth it.
2) Be open to grow — When you venture out to do something greater than yourself, it will demand that you grow in areas that seem uncomfortable to you at first. But, in order for your work to grow, you must continue to grow yourself. I have personally increased my listening and reading capacity (x2). Additionally, you must use every experience (in the process) as an opportunity to grow.
3) See it through — The process is uncomfortable at times, but you must have a resolve in your heart to “see it through.” This is the place where you refuse to look backwards. With the work we do with #lovebeyondwalls, we have a “see it through” mentality. Why? Because we truly value the work God has us doing.
Below is a back of the building shot! Every day in April, we are getting closer and closer to getting planted. Continue to pray that God guides our work.
We are approaching a historic month for #lovebeyondwalls! Why? Because in the month of April we will occupy our first office/slash storage space. Below is a picture if you have seen it yet:
Of course it is not a gigantic building, but it will be something we call a headquarters & home.
It will be a “launchpad” for the work we would like to continue doing in our city (ATL), country, and world.
It will be a place where we can get planted and grow as an organization. We ask that you do four specific things to help us get planted into our new office/storage space in the month of April (whole month).
1) Pray – I ask that you pray that God allows us to get planted, and immediately continue to reach people who do not have any hope.
2) Give – I ask that you look at our simple “wish list” and contribute in of the items on it that we need. This is ALL from scratch, so we will need your help. But, if we have to spend the first month on the floor with laptops working, we are cool with that too. LOL. Simply click [HERE] to visit our “wish list” page.
3) Volunteer – We will post the days that we will start working on the building to clean it, and make minor repairs to it. We ask that you volunteer to help get our building together. We will need help getting organized, painting, etc. Why? As we get planted, we can help more people.
4) Share our story – If you know someone who could help us move forward, share our story. You never know who “you know” that we can help, or could help us.
Last week, we received a phone stating that “#lovebeyondwalls is approved for the office/storage space…”
Now, (over the next month) before we take a step into the space we have several things to do! Be on the look out for those details and how you can help us move forward to reach more people! Below is a simple picture of our potential spot and first start… It may not be much to many, but it is a great start for us…